NEWS – all categories

DFA Hon Sec’s Report

The Hon Sec’s report from the Dart Fisheries Association. Points may be discussed at the AGM

DFA 2019 AGM SECRETARY’S REPORT

2018 season and our Catches– The EA have reported that, provisionally, our catches were: Salmon 8 – we think number may have been closer to 20 against a previous 4 year average of 19 , Sea trout 120 – we think the number was closer to 200 against a previous 4 year average of 195, and Days fished was tba against a previous 4 year average 810days. Nb the Agency have advised that they are increasing catches by a factor of 1.51 to allow for those anglers who don’t submit their catch returns . Additionally the Westcountry Rivers Trust, who run our Passport scheme on the Duchy waters, have reported that 417 brown trout were caught, mainly by DAA members, in their first year of their agreement with the Duchy, in addition to 5 sea trout. Clearly our catches and effort, or lack of them, were affected by our long hot dry summer when there were very few days when it was possible to fish for salmon in a reasonable height of water, however the better news was that [a] there appeared to be a reasonable run of sea trout [b] there was evidently considerably less disease than in 2017 [c] the redd counting carried out in the early winter showed an encouraging number of both salmon and sea trout redds on the gravels that were worked on by Dave French and his team of volunteers in the summer. Information from our fish counters on Totnes weir will be provided at the meeting.

National salmon byelaws– notwithstanding that our river is considered to be “Probably at Risk” we have not had mandatory 100% Catch and Release imposed on us, but we are expected to achieve a release ratio of not less than 90%, which effectively means that all salmon caught should be returned. We also need to be aware that survival rates have been closely linked to water temperature and we should probably not be trying to catch salmon at all if the water temperature reaches 20 C, as it surely did last summer.

Electro-fishing– it was decided that the WRT would not be asked to electro-fish our upper river system last summer, instead our monies would be better spent on improving our spawning gravels on the Cherrybrook, Wallabrook, Stannonbrook and Blackabrook, which turned out to be money well spent. So e-fishing was limited to that carried out by the EA on the Cherrybrook and Wallabrook with disappointing results. This year it is likely the EA will cover more sites and we will ask the WRT to complement its work, so we should get a better picture idea of the numbers of our juveniles, both salmon and trout, in our upper river system. Then in 2020 the EA will be carrying out a full programme which they do every 6 years or so. 

Water quality– considerable monitoring of the quality of our water has been carried out by the EA, SWW, DWLT, Plymouth University and ourselves in the past two years without any alarm bells being rung, but we still have concerns that low ph flushes [ the WRT will be reporting on their liming trial in the upper West Dart at the meeting], pollution including from pesticides and discharges from our various sewage plants in the river system may be having an adverse effect on our salmonid stocks. Tom Hutchinson of Plymouth University will be our main speaker at our meeting on this subject. Luke Chester –Master and Chris Glover continue their good work on our fly life project, and it would be good if others would be willing to work with them.

Staverton hydro-electric scheme application– we are concerned about this application as, if agreed, it would mean a substantial amount of water being diverted from the river at Staverton weir into a leat to power the large [3 metre diameter] Archimedes screw at Town Mills. We have submitted a strong objection to the South Hams planners written for us by Roger Furniss to whom many thanks are due. The EA and NE have also objected so hopefully the scheme will not be approved. 

Canoeing – little news to report other than to mention Roger’s letter in the spring edition of the Dartmoor magazine demolishing Ben Seal’s [BC] contention that appeared in the magazine’s winter edition that the law is still unclear. The fact that BC have not disputed Roger’s arguments would suggest that it knows full well what the legal position is and is just trying to “muddy the water” for its members. Before that BC launched a new Charter in Westminster, promoting 365 day access on all rivers, in November which would appear to have been something of a damp squib, with little publicity nationally.

Our Partnership [DFA/EA/WRT] Work Plan– attached is our 2018 Work Plan showing progress, or lack of it, on the many issues affecting our river over the past 12 months. We have yet to finalise our 2019 plan, but it is likely to be very similar, with priorities being [a] to continue to improve our spawning gravels in the upper river system [b] try to ensure that our migratory salmon and sea trout can reach them without difficulty [c] to ensure as far as possible that the quality of the river’s water is not adversely affected by pollution from whatever source [d] continue, and possibly expand our liming trial, aimed at trying to reduce the damaging impact of low ph flushes in our river system. 

The GWLCT’s ongoing Samarch project– which includes the monitoring of movement of sea trout smolts from 5 rivers has shown that sea trout during daylight hours often go down deep. This information is likely to have an effect on the legal depth of off shore nets in due course. Re these offshore nets it appears there are around 2,500 legal ones in place around the Cornish coast on a daily basis!

There is a vacancy for the job of Secretary of this Association. Applications to our Chairman most welcome!

18/4/19

Dart Fisheries Association 2019 AGM

All DAA members are cordially invited to the DFA AGM

DART FISHERIES ASSOCIATION

2019 AGM

Notice is given that this year’s AGM will be held at 6.30pm on Friday May 10th 2019 at the Dartmoor Lodge Hotel, Ashburton. 

AGENDA

  1. President’s welcome to our guests. 
  2. Apologies for absence.
  3. Minutes of the AGM held on Friday May 11th 2018, and matters arising.
  4. Chairman’s report.
  5. Treasurer’s report.
  6. Secretary’s report [see attached].
  7. Election of Committee and Officers [see below].
  8. Change of name of our Association to the Dart Fisheries Conservation Association.
  9. Our liming trial and electro-fishing – WRT to report
  10. Results from the Totnes weir fish counters
  11. SWRA matters – Roger Furniss to report
  12. EA matters.
  13. Any other business.

The following have volunteered to be your Committee for the next 12 months

DAA representatives: Ian Scofield, Phil Prowse, Peter Edwards 

Riparian owners: Sir Simon Day [President], Sir David Hoare, Patrick Simpson, Tom Stratton

Others: Dennis Mitchell [Chairman], Bill Robertson [Secretary], Giles Hammersley [Treasurer], Glynn Loyd-Jones [ Duchy Fly Fishers representative] , Humphrey Walters and David French

Co-opted members:Mark Simpson, Tim Hassell , Graham May , Jonathan Camp and Luke Chester-Master

NB If any member would like to raise any other matters at the Meeting would he/she advise me before Wednesday May 8th.

There will then be a talk by Tom Hutchinson, Professor at Plymouth University, on the quality of our river’s water and that of other rivers in the South West and steps being taken to improve it. 

  • After the meeting a carvery will be available – cost £11 per head to be paid at the meeting. It would be helpful, however, if you could let me know if you can stay for the carvery.

Bill Robertson – tel: 01364 652574, email bill@bowdenfm.co.uk

Visitors Tickets

The Sea Trout Inn, at Staverton, where our visitors tickets have been sold for some years, is closed presently. The position as of 15th April 2019 is that tickets should be on sale within the next few days at Dartmoor Lodge Hotel , Ashburton. We will post confirmation of this as soon as things are up and running, which should be before Easter.

Update: Up and running!

Membership card error

Most members will have received this season’s membership cards by now. Due to an administrative error at our busy nerve centre, a small number of the new cards have been issued with last years date. If you have received one of these you may contact the Hon Sec to obtain a re-issued card. Alternatively, the data protection statement you should also have received can be used this season in combination with your 2018 dated card as proof of membership.

Here’s wishing all our members a pleasant and successful 2019 season.

The Wild Trout Trust annual online auction 2019

The Wild Trout Trust annual online auction is still live until Sunday (16th March), when items will close throughout the evening.

There are many fabulous lots, catering for pretty much every purse and every taste in trout fishing, other fishing opportunities, tackle, tuition, art, literature and shooting.

The money raised will be spent to benefit our rivers and their trout and sea trout.

If you have not yet had a look at the auction there is still time.

Details of the lots on offer are available on the Wild Trout Trust’s website, with a link to the auction hosted by eBay or go straight to the auction listing here.

Graeme Harris talk

Just a reminder that Graeme Harris is coming to speak to us tomorrow evening. Graeme has been consulted by the Association regarding possible improvements to be made to TWP to bring it back to its former glory by managing flows etc. Obviously, members views on this would be useful so please come if you can.

As he is a renowned authority on sea trout, no evening with Graeme would be complete without a few words about them and this will be the subject of the second half of his talk.

There will also be a free buffet.

The meeting is at 1930 tomorrow – Friday 8th March – at the Dartmoor lodge Hotel, Ashburton, TQ13 7JW.

Sunday 3rd bank clearing plans

Robin is keen to work on Quarry Pool, Whortley etc and suggests meeting (and parking) at Stretchford for 9.30 a.m. The forecast is pretty ok with the possibility of a shower or two but nothing else too alarming.

Help required

Bank clearing is underway, with Robin leading the team. There is much work to be done, so we need plenty of volunteers. We meet on each Sunday morning for the first few weeks of the year and the work can be more or less physical, depending on the individual. In any case it is a good way of working off some of that Christmas pudding, good fun and, particularly for newer members, a good way of getting to know the river and an perhaps an opportunity to discuss tactics with other members.

The photo below was taken last week when the team removed a tree from Kilbury.

Anyone with a couple of hours to spare on any Sunday morning in the near future would be particularly welcome as attendance has been a little low this year.

You will find the list of dates and venues here.

This work has to be done for the benefit of all so please come if you can.

 

New Year bank clearing

Members, if you have some time to spare on the following dates your presence at one or more of these sessions would be very much appreciated to help with river bank maintenance. For newer members this is a good opportunity to get to know your fellow members and the river better.

All bank clearing commencing at 0930 on the following Sundays:

6th Jan – Kilbury
13th Jan- (CC) Kilbury/ Austins Bridge to Nursery Pool
20th Jan- (CC) Nursery- Rookery to Caddiford Turn
27th Jan- (CC) Colston Stickle to Quarry Pool
3rd Feb- (CC) Quarry-Wortley – Eales Folley
10th Feb- (CC) Davies Pit to Lower Stile
17th Feb- Hood Weir (tree removal subject to water height) or alternative above Riverford Bridge/ Stretchford ( right bank)
24th Feb- Fogdens – Caddaford to Old Man’s Run-Abbots Mead
3rd Mar- Fogdens- (tree removal subject to water height) head of Abbots Mead.